.

Monday, May 17, 2010

A girl and her fish

At some point in Ashlyn's long career of being spoiled by my parents she talked my dad into buying her a stuffed fish.
This is totally not the little stuffed animal you are picturing.
It is a five foot long, tacky multicolored, monstrous creature.  One of those things that you find in an outdoor hunting/fishing store that you would only buy someone if you are 100% positive that under no circumstances will it ever be in your own home.  Also one of those things that you cannot get rid of if it is in your home because it either
a) leaves a gaping hole in your child's bedroom so that they notice its absence right away or
b) sticks too far out of a trash can to be thrown out inconspicuously

So this morning I had to get all of the kids ready and out the door by 7:30 am for a doctors appointment.  I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but Ms. McKenna is a total pack rat, she holds onto everything, literally.  Anytime we head to a different area of our house you can find her scanning the room for what she desperately needs to bring with her to the next room.  Heaven forbid she leave El.mo, a doll or a half-eaten apple 20 feet away in the kitchen while we play upstairs.

So back to the fish....

Since we were up so early this morning McKenna was in her big sister's room before she left for school and she spotted it...  that stupid lovely, never to be gotten rid of, fish.  So this morning, while trying to get everyone ready, everyone up and down the stairs, everyone dressed, fed and in the van, I had to walk Parker, carry Sawyer, and keep steady an already wobbly McKenna who was now pulling a five foot long fish.

Somewhere along the way I found myself arguing with my headstrong little girl about the fact that the fish needed to stay home for his nap so no he could not come in the van for our hour and half long drive.  Ultimately our need to make it to her appointment outweighed my need to leave Fishy at home and there I was stuffing that stupid thing across the back of the van.  I thought maybe once he was all the way across the backseat and over her lap that Ms. Stubborn would relent and say Fishy could stay home but nope, she just rested her hands on his fins and grinned at me with complete satisfaction.  I did however, put my foot down and not allow Fishy into our appointment.  I draw the line at lugging in two toddlers, an infant, a double stroller, a 50 pound diaper bag AND a five foot long fish.  But the moment we left our appointment she was thrilled to climb back in the van with her fish.  Talked to him most of the ride home and couldn't wait for me to bring him in the house when we got home (on my fourth trip back to the van-- one for their lunch and sippy cups, one for Sawyer, one for Parker and McKenna and one last time for the fish).

Fishy is now upstairs, blocking the entire hallway, waiting for his new best friend to wake up from her nap so that her mommy can continue schlepping him around for the rest of the day.

Update on the rest of the afternoon... the new found love for Fishy did not die.
We lugged him up and down the stairs with the rest of the crew many times, had a HUGE fit because he was not able to scoot on his butt down each and every step, dragged him down the hall with Parker clinging to his fins and even squeezed him into the bathroom while we all sat squished together even more than usual waiting in hopes that someone would pee on the potty.

My little dictator is now asleep and Mommy is dreaming of putting Fishy in the lake where he belongs :)
Asked her to show me Fishy and got a fishy face instead

12 comments:

Liz said...

OMG! You are hilarious! If fishy needs a vacation send him to our house....Lucian would be happy to babysit him! He is obsessed with fish at the moment! :)

Amy said...

That is one horrific fish.

Aunt Marianne said...

Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning. Geoff used to have one of those fish too! I think we just finally got rid of it,

Holly Renee said...

This is awesome. I love the picture of her dragging it across the room. Too good. That fish is hilarious!

Heather Binkley said...

It's amazing what they latch onto. At least the fish doesn't flash or make noise. Send it with her when she goes to visit her grandparents. Tell them it's her pillow.

Ronnica said...

Yeah, that fishy needs to be flushed, so to speak. Whoever makes stuffed animals larger than the child they're made for should have to pay!

Melissa said...

Hahaha, I've never seen a fish so huge. Wow. Well, I'd also get tired of carrying that fish everywhere!

Allison said...

Fishy is even more spectacular than I was expecting, so glad you included a picture. I am cracking up at the thought of showing up to an appointment with that thing. We had a 4 foot tall stuffed Dipsy (Teletubby) for many years. Somehow I got him into a closet one day without Madeline noticing but I didn't dare throw it out for two years. I think you are stuck with Fishy for a long, long time.

Mellie said...

Wow, that is one huge fish!! But I am glad to know that my kids aren't alone in wanting to drag ridiculous things every where they go.

Maureen said...

Hahahaha love your writing! That is one heck of a huge fish! This reminds me of how my son talked his grandma into buying him an electronic miniature motorbike with sirens and all that drive me nuts! LOL oh the joy of being grandparents!

Christy said...

That is HILARIOUS! I too have a strong willed child who cannot be disuaded from taking things in the car with us. Fortunately, we don't have any giant fish to even think about :) And, she can usually be persuaded to leave said things in the car, too. Thank you for sharing your fun trip ;)

Ginny Marie said...

You definitely had me laughing! My brother-in-law had the exact same fish on their family room sofa...but come to think about it, it has disappeared! Hmmmm....

Hysterical post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...